Thursday, February 7, 2008

Mandalay



If one were to ask me what is the most attractive city in the world, I would immediately say Mandalay. It isn't the most 'happening' place (that would be London) nor is it the most romantic city (that would be Florence, of course) nor is it the most beautiful place (without a doubt -- Santorini), but gosh darn it, it's the most attractive place I have ever traveled. Though I didn't dare to travel outside the 'tourist' spots, but maybe that's why it's, oh, so mysterious.

Not to say that I just locked myself up in a hotel. I ventured outside on my own with some trepidation -- scenes of oppression and military force, as shown in the news, came to my mind. However, after ten minutes of meeting and talking to local people, I found that my fear was gradually reduced. Myanmar people are largely polite and very religious - something that the media tend to ignore. Not surprisingly, most are still 'localized' (thanks to the military government) and that, paradoxically, is the most charming aspect of it all. As I began to interact more and more with the locals, I couldn't help myself hoping, selfishly wanting Mandalay to stay like this forever.


I stayed at a hotel just across from the Mandalay palace and every mornings I opened the window curtain, I was staring at the pagodas and the massive man made lake. But, my favorite time is not during the day, but at night when the sky opened up, revealing the stars and constellations (blue/red/orange). Since residents do not wander at night (thanks to military curfew), silence filled the city. And at about this time, I would stand in front of my hotel, facing the palace and I would look up in the sky that is filled with stars and felt that, just for a few hours, time has stood still in Mandalay...for the past two hundred years.

No comments: